| Future Plans
| Animal Welfare In India
IDA INDIA is a non profit grass root level animal protection organisation, dedicated towards establishing and defending the rights of all non - human living creatures.
It aims at:
- Promoting Animal Birth Control program and discouraging brutal extermination of stray animals
- Rescue of abused animals.
- Promoting vegetarianism.
- Lobbying for amendments to existing animal protection laws in India, to make them effective.
- Creating awareness amongst people for animal related issues; for example, commercial breeding and exploitation of animals, animals in zoos, conditions of enslaved elephants etc.
Brief History Of IDA
In Defense of Animals, India was born on 31st October 1996. Immediately the project of neutering of street dogs was taken up. A small beginning was made in March 1997 in two garages of a residential colony in a suburb of Mumbai. For three years IDA INDIA worked in small make shift camps. With the intervention of the Mumbai High Court, the Corporation handed over the premises at Deonar to IDA INDIA on 22nd December 1999.
Deonar Centre started from 1st February 2000:
With the intervention of the Bombay High Court, the Municipal Corporation handed over erstwhile Dog pound at Deonar to us on 22nd December 1999. After refurbishing the place, we started the centre from 1st February 2000, to spay / neuter street animals and render treatment to ill / injured ones.
Second center in Navi Mumbai started from 26th July 2006:
The twin city of Mumbai viz. Navi Mumbai did not have a neutering center for dogs for several years. Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) handed over their erstwhile Dog Pound to us to start the spay / neuter and render treatment for street animals in Navi Mumbai. Thus started our second centre in Kopri,Vashi from 26th July 2006. In 2010, we were shifted to a second center in Turbhe as the first center had become unfit for use. Presently, the second center too needs urgent upgrading hence from October 2015 we had suspended the spay/neuter and rescue programme and were only caretaking of the animals who are presently with us. We have restarted work temporarily from 1st December 2015 in the best interests of the animals, on the assurance from the Municipal Commissioner of the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation that a new and better center will be built soon in a different locality and that all the pending infrastructure work in the present center will take place within the month. This is a temporary arrangement and we will update the new developments as they happen.
Third center in CIDCO area of Raigad district from December 2012
The City and Industrial Development Corporation builds cities in Maharashtra. To decongest
Mumbai and create more housing and industrial space for increasing demand, after developing
the Navi Mumbai area, they shifted to neighboring Raigad district and have developed Kharghar
and the New Panvel nodes. With increasing population comes the increasing stray dog
population too and hence to deal with this effectively, we were given the contract by CIDCO in
December 2012, to start the spay/neuter and treatment of stray dogs programme for CIDCO
Spay / neuter program in the smaller towns near Mumbai & Navi Mumbai:
Several small Municipal Councils in Raigadh District have started approaching IDA India to set
up spay / neuter camps in their towns. We held the first camp at Matheran, and neutered / spayed
475 dogs in 4 months between February & May 2008. We now propose to move the camp to
other towns. Presently, we are working in the town of Lonavala where we spay/neuter 50-75
dogs per month.
We Believe that :
- Treating animals differently from humans, is akin to racism and sexism
- Being immune to the pain and suffering of animals means that one's soul has not yet awakened
- A civilized society, is one where there is zero tolerance to abuse and cruelty of any kind to animals
At IDA India, we believe that our moral duty as humane individuals, is to help & assist the animals to the best of our ability. We have no major philosophies, but we believe that animals have a right to food, shelter, comfort, love and life like we do. We were perhaps born to alleviate the suffering of these neglected, abused, four legged; slithering and feathered friends...our co-inhabitants, who came to this planet before us, our soul mates from the animal kingdom.
Our Commitment to our animal friends:
Maybe we are not doing enough for you, but we are doing our best; leaving no stone unturned within our limited capacities. Bear with us...and we will not give up till our last breath doing what we know best to do....taking care of you. We love you all!
IDA INDIA is
- Registered under the Society's Registration Act XXIX of 1950.Registration No 1404/1996 dated 31st October 1996.
- Registered with the Charity Commissioner, Greater Bombay. Registration NO. F 18786 (Mumbai) dated 18th January 1997.
- Donations are exempted from Income Tax under section 80-G of the Income Tax Act 1961,as per certificate No. AN (C) / MN / 80-G / 1593 / 2007 / 2008-09 valid up to 31st March 2011.
- Registration for Foreign Contributions under the Foreign Contributions Regulation Act (FCRA) received and number is 083780752,given by Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India by letter No. II/ 21022/68(127)/2000-FCRA-III dated 13th December 2000.
- For donations to IDA India, please visit the page on Donations.