| Future Plans
| Animal Welfare In India
IDA INDIA is a non profit grass root level animal protection organisation, dedicated towards establishing and defending the rights of all non - human living creatures.
It aims at:
- Providing infrastructural facilities for shelters, dispensaries, ambulances etc for alleviating the suffering of animals.
- Lobbying for amendments to existing animal protection laws in India, to make them effective.
- Rescue of abused animals.
- Campaigning to secure legal recognition for animal rights nationally and internationally.
- Promoting vegetarianism.
- Promoting Animal Birth Control program and discouraging brutal extermination of stray animals.
- Creating awareness amongst people, so as to start a mass movement against -
- Use of animals in laboratories for experimentation.
- Vivi-section in schools & colleges
- Harsh training regimes in circuses and films
- Manhandling of slaughter animal and poultry chicken
- Cruelty to cows, bullocks, horses, donkeys,
- Breeding for commercial exploitation.
Brief History Of IDA
In Defense of Animals, India was born on 31st October 1996. Immediately the project of neutering of street dogs was taken up. A small beginning was made in March 1997 in two garages of a residential colony in a suburb of Mumbai. For three years IDA INDIA worked in small make shift camps. With the intervention of the Mumbai High Court, the Corporation handed over the premises at Deonar to IDA INDIA on 22nd December 1999.
Deonar Centre started from 1st February 2000:
With the intervention of the Bombay High Court, the Municipal Corporation handed over erstwhile Dog pound at Deonar to us on 22nd December 1999. After refurbishing the place, we started the centre from 1st February 2000, to spay / neuter street animals and render treatment to ill / injured ones.
Vashi Centre started from 26th July 2006:
The twin city of Mumbai viz. Navi Mumbai did not have a neutering center for dogs for several years. Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) handed over their erstwhile Dog Pound to us to start the spay / neuter and render treatment for street animals in Navi Mumbai. Thus started our second centre from 26th July 2006.
Neral Centre started from 28th August 2006:
Being an eco-sensitive zone, vehicles are not permitted on the hill station of Matheran, hence weak, emaciated horses are used to ferry people and cargo up and down the hill. While more than 600 horses are working in this region, there is not a single veterinarian or an animal center in the region. We therefore started this centre to help these animals Now our staff also holds camps in nearby towns of Kalyan and Titwala, where horses are used to ferry passengers. Sadly, due to lack of funds, this vital service had to be stopped in end of April, 2011.
Project for working animals in Mumbai like horses and bullocks from 1st April 2008:
We hold regular check up camps, treat ill / injured animals and are actively involved in sensitizing "owners" towards their animals. Our vet is available for emergency calls 24 x 7 to help these animals.
Spay / neuter program in the smaller towns near Mumbai & Navi Mumbai:
Several small Municipal Councils in Raigadh District have started approaching IDA India to set up spay / neuter camps in their towns. We held the first camp at Matheran, and neutered / spayed 475 dogs in 4 months between February & May 2008. We now propose to move the camp to other towns. Presently, we are working in the towns of Dahanu and Lonavala.
Our Mission Statement:
"Always....In Defense of Animals."
We Believe that :
- Treating animals differently from humans, is akin to racism and sexism
- Being immune to the pain and suffering of animals means that one's soul has not yet awakened
- A civilized society, is one where there is zero tolerance to abuse and cruelty of any kind to animals
At IDA India, we believe that our moral duty as humane individuals, is to help & assist the animals to the best of our ability. We have no major philosophies, but we believe that animals have a right to food, shelter, comfort, love and life like we do. We were perhaps born to alleviate the suffering of these neglected, abused, four legged; slithering and feathered friends...our co-inhabitants, who came to this planet before us, our soul mates from the animal kingdom.
Our Commitment to our animal friends:
Maybe we are not doing enough for you, but we are doing our best; leaving no stone unturned within our limited capacities. Bear with us...and we will not give up till our last breath doing what we know best to do....taking care of you. We love you all!
IDA INDIA is
- Registered under the Society's Registration Act XXIX of 1950.Registration No 1404/1996 dated 31st October 1996.
- Registered with the Charity Commissioner, Greater Bombay. Registration NO. F 18786 (Mumbai) dated 18th January 1997.
- Donations are exempted from Income Tax under section 80-G of the Income Tax Act 1961,as per certificate No. AN (C) / MN / 80-G / 1593 / 2007 / 2008-09 valid up to 31st March 2011.
- Registration for Foreign Contributions under the Foreign Contributions Regulation Act (FCRA) received and number is 083780752,given by Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India by letter No. II/ 21022/68(127)/2000-FCRA-III dated 13th December 2000.
- For donations to IDA India, please visit the page on Donations.